Recently we celebrated my son Tyler’s 7th birthday in the park with cake from Ruthy’s Bakery, a piñata, and lots of friends! Some of the greatest things about New York are the many ways in which you can celebrate life’s best moments.
Here’s how we made Tyler’s Birthday fun and a success and you can do it your favorite New York City park.
- Choose your child’s favorite theme (Sponge Bob, Princesses, Ninja Turtles, etc.).
- Go to Party City for table cloths and balloons, party hats, and dress up the park benches and picnic tables.
- It’s our tradition for all events to get animated cake from Ruthy’s Bakery in Chelsea Market, starting as far back as our wedding!
- I also recommend Eleni’s Bakery in Chelsea Market – they have an array of smaller cupcakes and fun things like drawing on your own cookie, which the kids love!
- We love gluten free, local farm fresh pizza from http://sliceperfect.com/ Buy extra pizza for other kids at the park who may want to join so you won’t have to turn them away. This is parent birthday-in-the-park etiquette; Plan accordingly.
- For the moms who are tired of eating pizza, you can bring fruit bowl or, being from Argentina, I always bring empanadas.
- Party favors that are always a hit include classic graham crackers, fun things from Party City, Eleni’s cookies, and of course bubbles at the park are always a big hit!
The number one thing parents love about parks is the kids can run wild and have fun, which, of course, means that as parents we can catch up and relax! We love Clement Clarke Moore Park. Check out this link to learn about all the city’s parks and find the nearest one to you!
Thank you to all who came out to make our son feel so special.